Nail polish can seriously affect our heath, and a recent study has shown that many of the most popular American nail polish brands are actually the extremely harmful.
The study involved 24 women and experts evaluated the effects of the chemical toxins in their bodies. The source of these chemicals was nail polish.
All of the participants were found to have signs of triphenyl phosphate in the body only 10 hours after applying nail polish.
The same researchers, in a follow-up study, evaluated 10 different nail polishes for triphenyl phosphate and found it in 8 of them.
What’s more, two of these 8 did not even list the presence of the chemical on the label. Therefore, 20% of nail polishes we purchase have a harmful chemical that is not listed on the label.
Triphenyl phosphate (or TPHP) is a dangerous chemical that disrupts the humans’ endocrine system, which controls all our hormones. According to the lead researcher of the study, Dr. Heather Stapleton, “There is growing evidence suggesting that TPHP may affect hormone regulation, metabolism, reproduction, and development.”
Hence, his is extremely alarming for young girls who use nail polish on a daily basis and the healthy hormonal development is vital for their growth. TPHP is a known:
- Neurotoxin (causes developmental effects)
- Reproductive Toxin
- Skin irritant and allergen
- Endocrine Toxin
Nail polish contains other harmful ingredients as well, such as:
Formaldehyde is a popular carcinogen which dissolves in water and air. It leads to asthma, scratchy throat, and difficulty breathing. Individuals suffering from some chronic diseases are especially prone to poisoning from formaldehyde.
This chemical poses the similar risks as TPHP, as it disrupts the hormonal balance and contains reproductive system toxins.
Toluene impedes the development in children and irritates skin.
Yet, there are some natural nail polish alternatives you can use in order to prevent these effects and help you avoid allergies, cancer, and hormone disruption.
These are the best of them:
- Acquarella offers more than 50 polish colors, which are all water-based, meaning that you can remove them effortlessly with standard rubbing alcohol, and don’t contain any of these harmful ingredients like formaldehyde, toluene, dibutyl phthalate, mercury, or wheat products.
- Peacekeeper Cause-Metics offers bright nail polishes, which do not contain toxins and are infused with argan oil, which moisturizes your nails.
- SpaRitual is a completely vegan brand that produces toxin-free nail polishes.
- Honeybee Gardens offers nail polishes in various colors, which are water-based, and are free of carcinogens and harmful chemicals.
Make sure you always choose health-conscious nail polishes in order to protect your wellbeing and avoid the side-effects of regular nail polish brands.