12. Validate his feelings
Avoid telling him that you know how he feels because the truth is you don’t know how he feels. You say you know how you would feel in his situation, but that is through your own experience. Allow your partner to feel what he needs to and always remind him that you are there to listen, talk and help when he is ready or needs it.
What Can You Say to Your Grieving Boyfriend?
While there are plenty of things you can do to support your boyfriend in his time of grieving, you will often struggle for the right words to say to him. How to be there for your boyfriend when he’s grieving includes knowing the right words to say. Here are some suggestions that fit well.
- This must be hard for you.
- It’s hard to understand why these things happen.
- I’m not sure what to say but know that I am here for you.
- I can tell that you miss them terribly.
- I’ll be here for as long as you need me to be.
- This must be very painful for you.
- I know how much you cared about them.